About the Grange
The historic Grange Hall in Sudbury Town Center before (left) and after its 2007 facelift (right). The building is located at 326 Concord Road in Sudbury, adjacent to Sudbury Town Hall.
Investing in historic preservation
The Sudbury Grange Hall was originally built in 1848 as a simple one-story schoolhouse. It was later moved to what is now Sudbury Town Center and expanded by raising the main structure to the second floor and building a level below. In 1890, the Town of Sudbury sold the building to the Sudbury Grange #121 and it became the center of Sudbury agricultural life. For over a century, residents have gathered there for companionship, political discussion and education.
In 2006, the Sudbury Foundation acquired the building and began the process of painstakingly refurbishing and expanding it. Today, the building houses the Foundation’s office on the first floor. The upstairs Meeting Room is available for use by local nonprofits and town–related committees.
The comprehensive renovation project included modernization of the original 2,000 square foot building and a 1,200 square foot, two-story addition. Improvements and additions incorporate a new kitchen, an elevator, ADA-accessible bathrooms, a two-story staircase and HVAC systems. Many of the Greek revival style period details have been refinished and restored including 12-over-12 double-hung windows, punched tin ceilings, wainscoting and a ventilation hood. The new addition, attached to the rear of the original Grange Hall, mirrors the original building’s design and details. Salvaged fieldstone from the grounds was repurposed in the site landscaping. A historic preservation restriction has been placed on the property.
Restored, maintained and accessible to the public, the renovated Grange Hall is a wonderful community treasure for all to enjoy. The Sudbury Grange #121 disbanded in 2015 but its memory is kept alive in the building that was its home for more than 100 years.
The Foundation makes the second floor Meeting Room available to Sudbury nonprofits and Foundation grant recipients for a modest fee. (Sorry, no private functions.) The room holds 50 to 60 seated or 100 standing. Tables, chairs and wifi are available. To reserve the Meeting Room, please contact Tricia Brunner, operations manager, at 978-443-0849.