Step 1 – Complete the Cover Sheet
Download the writeable pdf Cover Sheet. Fill out the form, print, sign and date.
(In order to fill in the form, it must be opened in Adobe® Reader® (or other advanced Adobe® product) . If your system displays the form in a PDF Previewer, first save the form to your computer, then continue with the instructions above.)
Step 2 – Write the Proposal
Using your preferred word processor, type the answer to each question. Be clear and concise, and answer in the order listed. If a question is not applicable to your project, please list it and indicate “n/a”.
Tip: Most proposals can be presented well in 3-5 pages.
Mission/History: The organization’s mission and history including goals and key achievements, date of incorporation, population and geography served.
Leadership: Your organization’s structure including board, staff and volunteer involvement.
Finances: Principal sources of support and income (i.e. client fees, membership dues, grants, special events, endowment income, in-kind support, etc.)
The issue(s) you hope to address through the proposed project and how the project came about (a brief history and context)
Who will be served (i.e., groups, age, number, socioeconomic characteristics) if different than described under “Background,” above
A time-line for the project, the activities involved and evidence that your organization can complete them
How the project fits with your organizational goals and the themes and priorities of the Sudbury Foundation: (youth development and opportunity, community building, preservation of community character and assets and/or organizational capacity and effectiveness)
Anticipated outcomes and measures of success
- How the activity will be sustained after grant funding has ended
Step 3 – Gather Attachments
Project and Organizational Budgets
You may use your own budget form(s) or adapt the Sudbury Foundation’s sample budgets provided here (Click below to see each budget):
- Sample I: One-year Project Budget
- Sample II: One-time Project Budget
- Sample III: Multi-year Project Budget
- Sample IV: Organizational Budget
____ Project Budget
Summarize all Income and itemize all Expenses. (Use the samples as guides. Adjust Income and Expense line items to best suit your project.)
- Please include other foundations and corporations being approached for funding with dollar amounts and status of each request (committed, pending, plan to submit/date due) In “Notes” section include anticipated notification date.
- Please note any restrictions on funding. Note how Sudbury Foundation funding will be used (for a specific expense or general project support.) (See Samples).
- If more than one employee’s salary is involved in project request, please list each employee title(s), $ amount and estimated time (if appropriate).
- If applicable, please provide detail on consultant fees. If available, please include consultant quote or response to RFP with proposal.
- If applicable, please provide detail on design, printing/copying costs including quantities, postage, etc. and equipment purchases.
- If anticipated income will not cover project expenses, note whether the shortfall will come from operating budget (see Samples I and III).
- Please list in-kind donations in the section under Footnotes. Do NOT include in-kind sources of support under Income or Expenses.
- Use the Footnotes or the “Notes” section in the right-hand column to clarify your figures or add detail.
- For Multi-Year support, in addition to the Total Project Budget, please include a breakdown of projected income and expenses by year. (See Sample III.)
You may use your own form, or use Sample IV as a guide. Adjust Income and Expense Line items to best suit your organization.
- Include the operating budget for the current fiscal year and, if available, for the upcoming fiscal year.
- Include the previous fiscal year’s actuals.
- Be sure to include your fiscal year-end date (mo/day/yr).
- For Footnotes and In-Kind support, please follow the guidelines presented under “Project Budget.”
- IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter confirming tax-exempt status and indicating the organization is publicly supported.
- Most recent audited financial statement
- Current board list, with relevant affiliations
- (Optional) Relevant support or promotional materials
Step 4 – Mail Packet
Mail your application packet to:
The Sudbury Foundation
326 Concord Road
Sudbury, MA 01776
Please check that your application packet is complete. No staples, please.