Racial Equity and Inclusion Statement
The Sudbury Foundation’s mission of Investing in People, Place and Possibility inspires us to support justice, equity, diversity, inclusion, anti-racism and anti-oppression in all forms.
That inspiration has led to many questions: How can we be more inclusive? Are we listening to and learning from our grant partners? Should we shift our funding focus? Do we recognize our own biases? What is appropriate to ask our grant partners about their experiences? Should we adjust our application and reporting processes? How do we find new non-profit partners?
This is a time for transparency.
Our recent actions:
- Awarded grants to nonprofits in our catchment area focusing on anti-racism learning and action.
- Hosted a “Lunch and Learn” for grant partners to share their experiences with their equity projects funded with Foundation grants.
- Worked with a consultant to explore and challenge our inherent biases from a variety of privileges.
- Examined how philanthropy has played a role in systemic oppression, and how we can adjust our practices to affect change.
- Shifted some funding from project and capacity building to general operating funding.
- Reduced the administrative burden for some grant applications and reports.
- Modified our investment portfolio to include community impact loans.
Our future plans:
- Continue offering Racial Equity & Inclusion grants to local nonprofits, convening grant partners periodically for mutual learning. (Click here for more information about the Racial Equity & Inclusion Grants.)
- Conduct ongoing board and staff education, conversation, and workshops.
- Continue to learn from our grant partners.
- Expand community outreach to identify and build new partnerships.
- Seek feedback and review grantmaking practices, including applications and reports.
- Review and refine our scholarship program with an equity lens to reduce access barriers, and to ensure resources are directed where most needed.
- Review internal processes and requirements for board recruitment, vendor selection, and purchasing.
Our plan of action is fluid and evolving. We appreciate your patience and support as we learn and grow. The team at The Sudbury Foundation is grateful and energized by the possibilities.
We are open to your feedback.
Updated April 2022