The Census is important! Data collected from the Census will inform the distribution of more than $20 billion of federal funds in Massachusetts annually, impacting political representation and a wide range of critical services including public education, social services, roads, health care.
As trusted messengers, nonprofits can raise awareness, help individuals access and complete the Census, and co-ordinate efforts with partners to maximize collective impact.
Feel free to download this great resource from the Massachusetts Nonprofit Network on how nonprofits can make sure that everyone counts—and why they should.
Help correct the misconceptions. The truth is:
The Census is safe. Personally identifiable information is stored in the aggregate, and strong legal and technological protections are in place to protect it. Census Bureau personnel can be fined and jailed for sharing information.
The Census is easy. The 2020 Census will contain nine questions, taking 10 minutes to complete, that can be filled out on any device with an Internet connection.
- Training for staff:
- MIRA- contact Vatsady Sivongxay- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mass Nonprofit Network: http://massnonprofitnet.org/2020-census-resources-nonprofits/
- General Resources and Messaging
- MA Secretary of State: http://www.sec.state.ma.us/census2020/index.html
- Mass Census Equity Fund: https://www.masscensusequity.org/
- US Census Bureau: https://census.gov/programs-surveys/decennial-census/2020-census.html
Posted on March 20, 2020